null The Royal Award for Islamic Finance Commemorative Booklet: Dato' Dr. Abdul Halim Ismail
The Royal Award for Islamic Finance Commemorative Booklet: Dato' Dr. Abdul Halim Ismail
21 Sep 2021 | Tuesday
The Royal Award of Islamic Finance (The Royal Award) has released the 3rd Royal Award Winner Commemorative Booklet to celebrate the great achievements of the award winner. The booklet showcases their work and accomplishments as well as capture how each of these carefully-selected recipients, through their efforts, have brought significant and sustained benefits to the global Islamic finance industry. The digitally produced booklet (e-booklet) is available online at the Royal Award portal and other relevant portals (e.g. MIFC portal) for public reference. The 3rd booklet is issued on a publication series of a total of five issuances throughout 2021, showcasing the Royal Award 2014 recipient, Dato’ Dr. Abdul Halim Ismail. The first and second booklet in the series were released in March 2021 and July 2021 respectively, featuring 2018 RAIF recipient, Tan Sri Dr. Zeti Akhtar Aziz and 2016 recipient, Professor Datuk Rifaat Ahmed Abdel Karim.
About the Commemorative Booklet on Dato’ Dr. Abdul Halim
- The booklet features the insights of Dato’ Dr. Abdul Halim’s profile, achievement and global contribution to the Islamic finance industry.
- Dato’ Dr. Abdul Halim has been an eminent figure and prominent voice in the Islamic banking and finance industry. Being at the forefront of Islamic finance industry for over three decades, Dato‘ Dr. Abdul Halim had pioneered on many frontiers, creating a strong footing for Islamic finance to grow.
- Dato’ Dr. Abdul Halim is recognised for his pivotal role in establishing the organisational structure and operating procedures of the first Islamic bank in Malaysia in 1983. He was appointed the Managing Director of Bank Islam Malaysia Berhad and Chairman of the board of Syarikat Takaful Malaysia Berhad, the nation’s first Islamic insurance company. In 1994, Dato’ Dr. Abdul Halim also helped to set up BIMB Securities Sdn Bhd, the first Islamic stockbroking company in Malaysia.
- Due to his immense contribution and achievements in the field of Islamic finance and in developing the Islamic banking and financial industry in Malaysia, Dato’ Dr. Abdul Halim has received numerous prestigious awards, including:
- Leadership Award by The Asset magazine (2012)
- Outstanding Figure in Islamic Finance Award by the Association of Islamic Banking in Malaysia
- National Maal Hijrah 1425H Personality Award by the Government of Malaysia (2004)
The booklet also features a collection of speeches by:
- Tun Musa Hitam, Chair of Jury; and
- Dato’ Dr. Abdul Halim’s acceptance speech and public lecture.
Key highlights of Dato’ Dr. Abdul Halim acceptance speech:
- 1980s saw Malaysia, like Muslims in many other countries, began to build Islamic banking and finance. And today, Shariah facilities and products is widely available for Government banking and financial operations. There is now a flow of funds from the government to the private sector and vice versa through various instruments of Islamic banking and finance.
- Meanwhile, the situation is in stark contrast within the social welfare. Both the government and the private sector have a role to play in the social welfare sector.
- Dato’ Dr. Abdul Halim coined the term ‘Sadaqah House’ - the business of providing products and services to collect various types of Sadaqah, Waqf and Hibah mainly from the private sector and distribute these to the poor and needy in the social welfare sector.
About The Royal Award The Royal Award is a distinctive Award recognising leaders and visionaries who inspire others to create a positive impact in the world through the shared values and principles of Islamic finance. The RAIF is spearheaded by the Malaysia International Islamic Financial Centre (MIFC) initiative and supported by Bank Negara Malaysia and Securities Commission Malaysia.Download PDF version here