Professional Ancillary Services / Legal Firms
Professional Ancillary Services
null Zaid Ibrahim & Co.
Zaid Ibrahim & Co.
Zaid Ibrahim & Co., founding firm of the ZICO Law network, is a full service firm. With more than 170 lawyers, the firm has developed a reputation for devising innovative and practical solutions customised to its clients’ needs.
ZICO Law is an integrated network of multidisciplinary firms helping organisations and individuals succeed in ASEAN.
As part of the ZICO Law network (which includes preferred firms in Sarawak and Sabah), the firm provides clients with direct access to a powerhouse of over 300 lawyers in 17 cities across the 10 ASEAN countries, and is in a unique position to provide cross-border legal services throughout the regional network. Besides Malaysia, our presence in Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam enable us to blend local expertise with a regional insights.
ZICO has an associated Shariah advisory company, ZI Shariah Advisory Services Sdn. Bhd. (ZI Shariah) as well as an associated trust company in Labuan, ZI Labuan Trust Company Ltd. It is also an approved consultant to the Government of Malaysia and a registered legal advisor with the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
Area of Services
- Islamic Banking & Finance
- Financial Services
- Corporate Banking
- International Finance
- Corporate & Debt Restructuring
- Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Regulatory & Compliance
- Prudential & Regulatory Framework
- Capital Markets
- Shariah Advisory, Compliance & Governance
- Islamic Wealth Management
- Corporate Commercial
- South East Asia Practice Law Firm of the Year - Asian Legal Business Malaysia Law Awards 2017
- Islamic Finance Deal of the Year for Zaid Ibrahim & Co’s role in the Malaysia Sukuk Global’s USD Wakalah Trust - Asian Legal Business Malaysia Law Awards 2017
- National Law Firm of the Year for Malaysia - IFLR Asia Awards 2016
- Most Innovative Deal of the Year for Zaid Ibrahim & Co’s role in the Ziya Capital MYR900 million of MYR20 billion Wakalah bi-al Istithmar Sukuk and Corporate Finance Deal of the Year for Zaid Ibrahim & Co’s role in the Sime Darby MYR3 billion Perpetual Subordinated Sukuk Programme - IFN Deals of the Year 2016
- Islamic Finance Deal of the Year and Malaysia Deal of the Year for Zaid Ibrahim & Co’s role in the Jimah East Power's Sukuk Murabahah Issuance - Asian Legal Business Malaysia Law Awards 2016
- Debt Market Deal of the Year for Zaid Ibrahim & Co’s role in the Government of Malaysia's Sukuk Issuance - Asian Legal Business Malaysia Law Awards 2016
Achievements/ Track Record
- Acted for the first sukuk in Asia to use Rights of Service as the underlying asset under the Shariah structure and it is the largest corporate 10-year sukuk issuance from Asia as well as the largest corporate sukuk in 2016
- Advised on the Malaysia’s first Islamic securitisation transaction backed by retail mall assets issued by a foreign fund
- Appointed as technical consultant for Southeast region by the Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI) of the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) in their “Sukuk Model Law” Project
- Advised the FSA of Japan on Shariah principles applicable to Japanese legal structures and proposed amendments to tax laws to enable sukuk issuances in Japan
- Advised on an enabling legal framework for Islamic financial services in Tajikistan, assisted with the drafting of the Islamic banking legislation which was passed in 2014 and conducted a training on Islamic finance to senior government officials in Dushanbe.
- Advised on the conventional/Islamic MYR20 billion Commercial Paper and MYR40 billion Medium Term Notes Programme by Cagamas Berhad
- Acted for Kuveyt Turk Katilim Bankasi A.S. in its MYR2.0 billion sukuk Murabahah programme through its financial conduit KT Kira Sertifikalari Varlik Kiralama AS
- Advised on the RM1.35 billion nominal value bonds by the State Bank of India constituted under the laws of India
- Advised Kapar Energy Ventures Sdn Bhd and its shareholders in the MYR3.6 billion project financing comprising MYR3.4 billion of Bai Bithaman Ajil Islamic debt securities and MYR200 million Murabahah revolving facility
- Advised a US asset finance company in the financing of the building and operation of vessels used in the oil and gas industry
- Advised various financial institutions and aircraft lessors on sale and lease-back transactions relating to ATR-72 and Boeing 737 aircraft for Malaysian aircraft operators
- Advised The Royal Bank of Scotland Berhad and Duetsche Bank (Malaysia) Berhad on ISDA Master Agreement in a financing transaction involving a Malaysian corporation of a world renowned hotel chain
Zaid Ibrahim & Co. (a member of ZICO Law)
Level 19, Menara Millenium,
Pusat Bandar Damansara,
50490 Kuala Lumpur,
Datuk Seri Dr Nik Norzrul Thani
T +603 2087 9887
Madzlan Mohamad Hussain
T +603 2087 9859