Professional Ancillary Services / Legal Firms
Professional Ancillary Services
null Wong & Partners
Wong & Partners
Wong & Partners, a member of Baker McKenzie International is a Malaysian law firm dedicated to providing quality and solution-oriented legal services to its clients. Recognised for its ability to deliver comprehensive and pragmatic legal advice, Wong & Partners is trusted by the most respected domestic and international banks and corporations for their needs in Malaysia and throughout Asia. Its lawyers are widely recognised as among the best in their fields, helping clients apply industry-specific, innovative and practical solutions. Since its establishment in 1998, Wong & Partners has grown steadily and now consists of 17 partners and more than 50 associates. The firm is also supported by a full team of paralegals and other support staff.
The Firm prides itself on being a progressive law firm in the 21st century with international standards of quality and experience. In this regard, the Firm has a solid commitment to training its lawyers, and invests in training, professional development and quality management programs with the aim of producing lawyers of global standard. As a member of Baker McKenzie International, it has access to the most developed global platform in the legal profession in Baker McKenzie's scope of practice, enabling the firm to provide a combination of local knowledge and global experience to every matter.
Area of Services
- Islamic Finance Structures (including bilateral and syndicated facilities)
- Islamic capital market (including Sukuk Issuance)
- Islamic Trade Financing
- Islamic Finance Disputes
- Debt Market Deal of the Year (2017) - Asian Legal Business
- Highly recommended for Banking & Finance - Asialaw Profiles 2015 - 2018
- Ranked Tier 1 for Banking & Finance - Asia Pacific Legal 500 2017 - 2018
- In-house Community Firm of the Year for Banking and Finance - Asian-MENA Counsel 2015 & 2017
- Malaysia Deal of the Year - IFN Awards 2016
- Infrastructure & Project Finance Deal of the Year - IFN Awards 2016
- Corporate Finance Deal of the Year - IFN Awards 2016
- Asset and Corporate Finance Deal of the Year (2016) - Asian Legal Business
- Honourable Mention for Islamic Finance (2015) - Asian-MENA Counsel
- Advised the principal advisor, lead arranger and lead manager on the issuance of Islamic securities in excess of MYR 5.5 billion in nominal value under the Shariah principle of Murabahah Tawarruq by a government linked company established to develop and manage a mega hydroelectric project in Central Sarawak, East Malaysia. Proceeds from the Islamic securities will be utilised to refinance existing loan obligations, amongst other purposes. This deal won the Debt Market Deal of the Year 2017 by Asian Legal Business Awards.
- Advised Sime Darby Berhad in relation to a proposed subordinated Sukuk programme of up to MYR3 billion in nominal value under the Shariah principles of Wakalah. This was the largest non-bank perpetual Sukuk issuance in the world. This deal won the Corporate Finance Deal of the Year 2016 by Islamic Finance News Awards
- Represented TNBES Renewable Energy Sdn Bhd in respect of an Islamic banking facilities granted by RHB Islamic Bank Berhad to part finance the project costs for the development and construction of the Flemington and Hadapan biogas power plants. This deal won the Infrastructure & Project Finance Deal of the Year 2016 and Malaysia Deal of the Year 2016 by Islamic Finance News Awards.
- Advised Maybank Investment Bank Berhad, the largest investment bank in Malaysia, with regards to a proposed issuance of Islamic medium term notes (Sukuk) of up to MYR400 million in nominal value to be made available to BEWG (M) Sdn Bhd, a China-owned water treatment company. The proceeds of the Sukuk will be utilised mainly for part financing the construction costs of the rehabilitation and upgrading works of a water treatment plant, construction of water tanks as well as pipe laying works and other related works in the district (“Project”). This transaction also involved Bermuda legal counsel as the Sukuk Wakalah was, during the construction period of the Project, guaranteed by BEWG’s holding company, listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised a financial institution in connection with an Islamic term financing facility in accordance with the Shariah contract of Tawarruq (Commodity Murabaha) of up to GBP50 million granted to a Malaysian property, infrastructure and business company and also one of the joint venture partners of the consortium undertaking the design, construction, commissioning, development, financing, marketing and completion of the London Battersea Site redevelopment, one of the largest real estate financings in the UK in recent years